Friday, November 18, 2005


This is Yarn Berd. There is knitting and there is the occational storytelling...true and fictitious.

Since I don't have any pictures of my knitting, I will begin with a story about knitting...appropriate, I think.

I have been knitting for about a year. Needless to say, my knitting looks pretty much like I have been knitting for about a year. I am still doing dishcloths, scarves and small change purses. Most of the time, my projects are lopsided or I drop a stitch or it just doesn't look right. I really should spend a few Saturdays with the Yarn Lady at AC Moore. Maybe some day I can move on to something more challenging, but I just haven't got the guts yet.

I can be crafty sometimes. I sew a little and draw a little, but there is nothing that I do extraordinarily. When I look at sites like Wee Wonderfuls I am truly impressed and know that I am certainly not a crafter of that calibre. Hillary is great and very talented. And there are so many extremely talented people out there...I fall so short of those accomplishments. But about a month ago I got all brave and for some mysterious reason I got it in my very small brain that I should create and sell. I would just try to promote my creative self.

I got a hold of Mrs. Dallas Bills of the Rhodedendron Arts and Crafts Festival. When I heard her voice I thought of an older, refined, Southern Belle. Someone who had been sent to finishing school and married well. Maybe it was because she refered to herself as "Mrs. Dallas Bills". That sounds like her husband's name. I guess it could be hers. She informed me that in order to "be invited" to the Christmas show, I should have "shown" on the lawn. I figured at this point I might as well hang up my art smock because I couldn't see myself being invited anywhere. Then she asked me what I do as an art or craft. My true reply to my truest memory was, "I knit and I sew". She informed me that she must inquire with the Board of the RACF and if they approved it, I could be "invited" to the festival.

I started creating in the hope that I would be "invited", but two whole weeks went by and I heard nothing from the RACF or Mrs. Dallas Bills. So, I quit creating. Three seconds after I quit creating I got a phone call telling me that I was indeed "INVITED"...to knit things...

I went cold...what about the sewing part?? I am so much better at sewing and knitting takes forever...at least for me....and o, crap I have nothing to sell...it will be a disaster...I will be embarrased and humiliated and will never again be invited...ever...again...to anything.

But, unfortunately, I am no quitter! And I have practically knitted my fingers off. I wake up each morning with a deep dread down in my very soul that Mrs. Dallas Bills will realize that I am not the crafter she and the Board anticipated and blackball me from ever being 'invited' anywhere again.

I have a few things made, but I am afraid that it won't be enough. I will be spending this weekend doing an inventory and stressing out and yelling at everyone (that I do quite well...too bad you can't market yelling). I will post pictures of some of the stuff in the next couple of days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home